To sign up for Gmail, create a Google Account. You can use the username and password to sign in to Gmail and other Google products like YouTube, Google Play, and Google Drive.
Sign up for a Gmail account.
- Go to the Google Account creation page.
- Follow the steps on the screen to set up your account.
- Type your First Name in the First name field
- Type your Last name in the Last name field (providing your last name is optional)
- Click Next
- Select your birthday from the Month, Day, and Year drop-down fields.
- Select your gender from the Gender field.
- Click Next
- Type a username you'd like to use for your Gmail address; You can use a combination of letters, numbers, and periods.
IMPORTANT: You may not get your first choice for a username, so it is important to be flexible and creative when selecting an easily identifiable username.
You won't be able to get a certain Gmail address if the username you requested is:
- Already being used.
- Very similar to an existing username (for example, if email@example.com already exists, you can't use firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The same as a username that someone used in the past and then deleted.
- Reserved by Google to prevent spam or abuse.
- You can use your new account to sign in to Gmail.
This information was acquired from the Gmail support site: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en